Welcome back! This is the last teacher quilt that I made. This teacher had a definite color pallet and style that was easy to turn into a quilt. My camera must have been tilted for this picture, because it looks like it is a trapezoid, but I promise I don’t make trapezoidal quilts!
SEE! Proof that this quilt is actually rectangular! This was the quilt top before the basting and quilting of course. If you notice, on the blue end, the quilt top actually was a bit longer than the final quilt. I cut off those blue corners mostly to make it match the yellow corners (or lack thereof) on the other side of the quilt. I had to have it look the same.
I named this quilt “Low Tide” because the zig-zags move onto each other like waves, and at low tide, you can find the most interesting rocks, and shells, and seaweed, and other animal life–low tide is truly magical. So, I kind of thought about that as I looked at this quilt
I did piece this quilt using squares on point, and while it was fun, I must be honest, when I sewed the rows together, I often found that I had sewn it wrong, so many rows had to be seam ripped and sewn all over again. That was THE ONLY frustrating thing with this quilt. I love everything else about this quilt. The fabric is Cotton and Steel basics, and I love them! I don’t know what the block is called, but I love it.
I quilted this using my walking foot to echo the diagonal stripes. It took a while, but I love it.
I used a sweet Joel Dewberry print (left over from this teacher quilt) as the binding, and even though it wasn’t the same fabric as the quilt, it added a soft, mild, geometric border to the quilt, and I love it.
The quilting really popped in the backing of this quilt, which was also not a Cotton and Steel print, but I just happened to have a few yards of coordinating fabric that worked magically as the backing to this quilt.
And in case any of you were ever wondering what the back of my teacher quilts look like, it is this. Handprints with the kids names written in them. This quilt ended up being a nice twin sized quilt, but I’ll be honest, I didn’t measure it. Sorry. Blocks were made with 8 1/2 inch squares (8 inch final) with a 2 1/2 inch x 8 1/2 inch strip, and 2 1/2 inch x 10 1/2 inch strip ( final width of 2 inches). So, if I were to guess, I would say this quilt is about 71 inches by 92 inches. So, large twin 🙂
Be sure to come back on my next blog post. It will be my 200th blog post, and I’ll be giving away some lovely fat quarter bundles. See you then!