Since I had just discovered what fat quarters were, I decided to make a few quilts using only fabric from fat quarters. I chose about 40 different fat quarters (some came in sets of 5) and went to town making these squares, called trail to treadleonia or shaded four patch. I finally made a quilt with triangles! These were the first squares that I actually trimmed after putting them together so that they were the right shape and size in the end. I quilted one for my mom and used a stitch in the ditch pattern along the diamond edges.
I made a matching sham to go with it.
I used this same square to make a quilt for my mother-in-law, but arranged them in a different pattern and used a much different color scheme. I think I went out of my comfort zone in color, and so did she when she accepted it, but it is a fun quilt! I chose a more creative quilting pattern with this one, straight stitching two curved lines in each block, resulting in the formation of circles.
This is the quilt top, pieced together, ready for basting.
This crib quilt was made for my baby boy. I used some of the same fabric as quilt 2 and 3 because I love that the quilts are “siblings” as well. This was the first time I used a quilt pattern, found here, and also pieced together a backing. This was also the first time I “stitched in the ditch.” I didn’t know then how to do mitered corners, and my basting wasn’t great, but my son has yet to complain. If I were to redo this quilt, I would put the lighter green color in the middle, baste better, cut with more accuracy, and learn how to bind. But, it’s all about progress, and this is part of my quilting progress.
Quilts 5 and 6 were made for my two nieces. I made a baby quilt and a twin quilt, made with the same fabric as quilts 2, 3, and 4, with some additional pastels. This was my first attempt at stippling in a meandering pattern, so they are far from perfect, but made with love. I love, again, that these two quilts were made from the same fabric as my children’s quilts. The pattern I used was for fat quarters, and I had no idea what a fat quarter was, so I had to cut my material into fat quarters to make it all work out. Ever learning!