Tagged: burp cloth

Sep 25

Jelly Boy quilt (39)

I finished a quilt that I was making for a neighbor having their first boy.

Jelly RollI had purchased this Jelly Roll half off at JoAnn.

I wanted to test and see how far one jelly roll could go.  Could it make the whole front of a baby quilt?  I didn’t want to just do a stripe quilt, so I thought I would mix it up by sewing them together on an angle.  I drew lines 2 inches from one end of each strip.  This is where I would place the next strip to be sewn.

sew strips together diagonallyThen, I cut off one side of the selvage edges.

cutting diagonal stripsThen, I put this cut edge along my cutting board and cut the sewn strips in a 90 degree angle.

cut diagonal strips at right angleI placed the remaining fabric next to the other side of the sewn strips.

Sewing diagonal strips togetherI sew the two remaining pieces together, and clip off the other selvage edge of the strips.

I then added a cream colored sashing and prepared a backing for the quilt.

Jelly boy quilt backing

The fabric in the back is this nursery rhyme fabric, that i love (I bought 7 yards of it!   I better love it!)

nursery rhyme fabricI quilted the diagonal strips in an elongated meandering pattern and the sashing in a geometric pattern.

Elongated meandering quilting

Quilted SashingI bound it with a dark brown patterned fabric.  Then, I washed it.

Jelly Boy Quilt Front

Front and back.

Jelly Roll quilt back

Here is an image of it close up:

Close up after Washing

And, since I had extra binding, and a little extra fabric, I went ahead and made a glorified burp cloth.

quilted burp cloth

I have never spent so much time on something intended to be spit up on.  But, I love it!

Before I washed this quilt, it was 34 inches by 51 inches.  After washing, it was 31.5 inches by 47.5 inches.  That is about a 7% decrease because of shrinkage.

2
comments