My kids’ teachers’ quilts are done! This one is for a teacher who likes westerns and America. I though some stars and plaid were in order. I used the woven fabrics currently being sold at both JoAnn and Hobby Lobby. I love the texture of the woven fabrics. It feels like I pulled this quilt out of a log cabin from the 1800’s. I will admit, though, that I was confused when I cut the fabric. I wasn’t sure whether to cut according to the design (and the weave) or to cut according to how the fabric lay (no, it did not lay straight), so that is why the pattern on the blocks look a little skiwampus. I cut according to the lay of the fabric.
I used an EZ quilting drunkard’s path template for these blocks. It has a star template included in it. It was very easy to put together. The most difficult part for me was sewing the white circle inside the red circle. But, hey, I figured it out (at least 9 times) and got it done.
The simple meandering quilting was the perfect way to finish this relaxed quilt. Add a bright red binding, and I’m pretty pleased with this little quilt. Hoping my kid’s teacher loves it just as much.
All of the teacher quilts have a strip of white/off white on the back filled with their students’ handprints and signatures. Probably my favorite part of the teacher quilts, and the kids love it, too!
I finished my PTA fundraiser quilt! Before washing, this quilt was 67 inches by 85 inches. After washing, it was 65 inches by 83 inches. So, this time it only had a 3% shrink factor. I don’t get the inconsistencies when I do the same thing with all of them (pre wash fabric, don’t pre wash batting) but come out with the quilt shrinking 6% one time and only 3% another. Oh well. Maybe if they had more funding in Quilt Science, we could figure this mystery out. Until then, I’ll just roll with it.
So, I’m going to show you two seams, and I want you to guess which one was pressed to one side, and which one was pressed open.
(I’ll give you a hint. If you scroll your mouse over the picture, the answer will appear!)
Isn’t that interesting? I didn’t think pressing the seams open would make that big of a difference, but it almost seems to disappear in the quilt. The one pressed to one side, however, is obvious. I think I might have to start pressing my seams open, well, at least when I am using fabric of the same color.
So, here are some more pictures. I didn’t purchase the backing fabric until after the quilt was made and I thought it was perfect. Way better than the girly flowery one I was going to use 🙂
I’m glad I chose to use brown thread to quilt it instead of white. You can’t really tell in the white part from a distance, and it isn’t that distracting from close up, either 🙂
Comments Off on Brown and Blue Boy Twin Quilt (43) comments