Rest in Peace, sweet Singer. I’ll never forget you.
When I tried to wind my bobbin, the needle began moving, and then the machine started beeping and lights started flashing. I knew it was the end of my run with the Singer.
Now I have a new machine.
I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT!!!!
My mom had given me an item of clothing that she thought would be fun to recycle into something new. I agree. It has a fun Asian elephant print. Since I needed to test the new machine anyway, there was no better way to do it than testing it on pot holders.
I made my pot holders with one cotton layer (elephant fabric), two layers of cotton batting (using up my batting scraps!), and one layer of something that I bought years ago. I don’t know what type of fabric it is, but I think it is some sort of thick home decor fabric. Maybe I bought it to make curtains? Who knows! Anyway, now it is a pot holder.
And I literally had the black and white quilt halfway quilted when the Singer died on me.
So, I was SO HAPPY to finally be able to finish it. This quilt was pieced almost a year ago, before I was pregnant. I used the scraps from the pink and black quilt. I had a lot of scraps!!! Then, it just sat there during my morning sickness phase, and it sat there during my “I don’t want to have to quilt a twin and rip out tons of string because I don’t know how to baste properly and keep sewing puckers on the back side” phase, and then it finally became a priority to me. This was the first twin quilt that did not pucker on me, so I didn’t have to undo anything. YAY!!!
I have become a believer of pinning the binding before you sew. I know, Sewing 101, but it makes a big difference! Straighter lines, and believe it or not, it is actually faster to pin. For me, anyway 🙂
I pin the binding to one side at a time, and then sew. I learned how to do mitered corners on the internet. I make my binding strips 2.5 inches long and then fold them in half and iron them, so the resulting strip is 1.25 inches wide. I machine sew it to one side, and then hand stitch it to the back. As you can see in this quilt, I have used the scraps to make the binding. Hopefully, soon I will have it complete and I can post pictures of it!