Tagged: binding

Jan 24

King sized quilt finished! (48)

Amy from Amy’s Creative Side is having her “One Thing. One Week” Challenge.

After taping…

And basting…

And quilting…

I was finally ready to bind this king sized quilt.

IT TOOK FOREVER!!!  And my fingers were so sore!  But, it was finally done!

And so, the largest quilt I have ever made was complete!

This quilt measured 111.5 inches by 103.

A mother of a quilt for my mother of a mom 🙂

But, my goal for Amy’s “One Thing, One Week” challenge was to bind, not one, but two quilts.

As my husband would say, “Done and Done!”


Sep 12

Big Boy Bed! (38)

I managed to do a little sewing this week.  My little baby boy is turning into a big boy and has taken a huge step in life.  We have moved him out of his crib and into his big boy bed.  Well, it’s not a twin bed, but it’s larger than a toddler bed.  And, rather than spend the money to buy him a comforter to go on it, I chose to make him one.  I purchased the bed at IKEA and happened to stumble across the fabrics that everyone is talking about.  Yes, they are way cute, and yes, I bought some.  Being a sucker for a bargain, I snatched up a mini bolt that was 42 inches (really 46 from selvage to selvage) by 118 inches for $10 and another for $8.   Instead of piecing together a quilt, I decided to use one whole cloth for the top and another for the bottom.  It’s not laziness, i really liked the fabric that much (and I was being lazy).

Since I needed to use as much of the fabric as i could, I chose to baste it, selvage to selvage, making sure it met the backing, selvage to selvage.

Basted quilt, with the light from my sewing machine shining through.

And I quilted it, selvage to selvage, in a swirly curly pattern.  I chose this one because, to me, it is playful.  I also wanted to practice making more  circular and consistent curls.

Quilted in swirly pattern

Once the entire quilt was quilted, I needed to choose a binding.  This is always tough for me, and I tend to rely on other’s opinions.

Car side with binding options

The hard part with this quilt was that I had made it double sided, so that once my baby boy has outgrown it, my little baby girl could use it next.

Morning Market side with binding options

I felt the orange looked best with the car side, but the green looked best with the market side.  So, I did what any good mother would do.  I went to the one who could speak (barely) and said, “Green or Orange?”


Orange it is!  My son loves the quilt, but the funny part is, he doesn’t like the partial cars on the edges.

“Fixsch it.”

“It’s not broken, sweetie.  It’s driving away.  There is nothing to fix.”

“Oh.  Otay.”

The Final Product!

I tucked him in for his nap today.  He loves it.

Before washing, this puppy measured 45 inches by 70 inches.  After washing, it measured 42.5 by 64.5.  Thats an average of 6% shrinkage.

And in case you were wondering how “Draw Bus” is coming along…

draw bus

Look! You can actually see a bus!

Comments Off on Big Boy Bed! (38)

Sep 03

Black and White quilt (37) and pot holders.

Rest in Peace, sweet Singer.  I’ll never forget you.

When I tried to wind my bobbin, the needle began moving, and then the machine started beeping and lights started flashing.  I knew it was the end of my run with the Singer.

Now I have a new machine.


I’ve had it for a whole day, now, and I have been able to make two pot holders (using this tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman) and finishing my black and white quilt.

My mom had given me an item of clothing that she thought would be fun to recycle into something new.  I agree.  It has a fun Asian elephant print.  Since I needed to test the new machine anyway, there was no better way to do it than testing it on pot holders.

I made my pot holders with one cotton layer (elephant fabric), two layers of cotton batting (using up my batting scraps!), and one layer of something that I bought years ago.  I don’t know what type of fabric it is, but I think it is some sort of thick home decor fabric.  Maybe I bought it to make curtains?  Who knows!  Anyway, now it is a pot holder.

Front of pot holders

Pot holders before and after binding is hand stitched to the back. The white diagonal line is where the hand can be placed inside.

pot holder back

The mystery fabric...

And I literally had the black and white quilt halfway quilted when the Singer died on me.

Black and white window quilt

Black and white quilt literally half way complete.

So, I was SO HAPPY to finally be able to finish it.  This quilt was pieced almost a year ago, before I was pregnant.  I used the scraps from the pink and black quilt.  I had a lot of scraps!!!  Then, it just sat there during my morning sickness phase, and it sat there during my “I don’t want to have to quilt a twin and rip out tons of string because I don’t know how to baste properly and keep sewing puckers on the back side” phase, and then it finally became a priority to me.  This was the first twin quilt that did not pucker on me, so I didn’t have to undo anything.  YAY!!!

pinning the binding

I have become a believer of pinning the binding before you sew.  I know, Sewing 101, but it makes a big difference!  Straighter lines, and believe it or not, it is actually faster to pin.  For me, anyway 🙂

Sewing the binding on the black and white quilt

I pin the binding to one side at a time, and then sew.  I learned how to do mitered corners on the internet.  I make my binding strips 2.5 inches long and then fold them in half and iron them, so the resulting strip is 1.25 inches wide.  I machine sew it to one side, and then hand stitch it to the back.  As you can see in this quilt, I have used the scraps to make the binding.  Hopefully, soon I will have it complete and I can post pictures of it!

Comments Off on Black and White quilt (37) and pot holders.