In my Cathedral Window Pillows post, I mentioned that I was in the process of making memory T shirt quilts for these same two girls who lost their dad in January. The quilts are finally done!
These quilts were a stretch for me. I wanted it to be true to their dad and yet have it fit the style of each girl. So, the instructions I got was to have a big heart in the middle, one of the girls likes blue, orange, and pink and the other just wanted the quilt to match the t-shirts. With this, I made the fronts as their dad would have liked to be represented, and I made the backs and bindings as the daughter’s liked.
That “Best Dad Hands Down” T-shirt was made for their dad by these two girls. I had to include it in both T-shirts, and so I placed them right beneath the large hearts in the center.
The dad’s T-shirts were pretty cool, in that some of them had a design on the front and back, so I was able to use one T-shirt and place a square in both quilts. The other T-shirts usually had some sort of a match (He liked Nike, and DC, and Hurley) so I pretty much had one of each for the quilts.
The quilting was a struggle for me. I wanted the T-shirt to stand out, not the quilting. This meant that I had to sew a quilt design on each individual square with a matching thread. I haven’t used clear thread yet, and I didn’t want to start on something like this. So, I used gray thread in the bobbin, and just went from one square to the next, trying to match quilting designs to the T-shirt design. Also, since I had already bound each square of jersey to shape-flex fusible interfacing, I had to really reduce the presser foot pressure so that my darning foot wouldn’t keep touching the fabric beneath it. Here are some blocks and their quilting designs.
And I also used two separate designs in the heart and the medium gray background fabric.
Yes, those are flames :). In one of the quilts, I did straight line quilting around the ash gray border. It turned out not coming together as well as I had hoped, so I just didn’t do it in the second quilt.
The girls have yet to see their quilts, but I hope they love them. I found making this quilt to be a very healing process. I hope these quilts allow the healing to continue.
They both measured 67 x 83 inches before washing, and 63 x 79 inches after.
Thanks for stopping by!