I mentioned in the previous post that I was pretty excited about a new baby quilt that I was making. This was my inspiration for the colors:
Sorry about the blurry picture! My phone camera just doesn’t want to focus on this thing.
Not bad for false inspiration, huh?
The binding really pops out from this thing. I did something different when I bound this one. I used pins. I pinned the binding to the quilt one side at a time and then sewed the binding onto the quilt to make sure it was perfectly straight. I think the extra effort was worth it in the overall look of the quilt.
Remember how I was testing my machine to see what exactly was it’s problem? Well, it sews straight stitch through cotton just fine. So, the problem is either free motion quilting, or free motion on cotton. I used a different brand of cotton this time (Warm and Natural–I am a fan!) so that is yet another variable. If I can do free motion quilting on warm and natural cotton batting, then I’ll know that the problem was in the brand of cotton batting that I purchased.
My favorite part of this quilt is the back. I purchased two rolls of large floral remnant fabric of the same print from JoAnn. I have seen this fabric MANY MANY times and I love it. It is hard to quilt with large print fabrics because each piece is a small piece of a larger picture and can be visually confusing. I think large prints can be best displayed on the backs of the quilts.
Next experiment will be: Free motion with polyester. I might also do a piecing test…with half rectangle triangles.