For the one-thing-one-week-challenge, I completed this quilt.
About two months ago, I was sitting in church and the teacher was teaching about church websites. During the lesson, this image popped up:
I was immediately drawn to the pillows in the back. Yes, I wanted to make a quilt like that.
So, I drew up some sketches and ended up with one I wanted to quilt.
But while I was blog surfing, I ran across this quilt and thought, “That was the quilt that is in my head and sketched onto a piece of paper, only this one is real”. Amy from “Diary of a Quilter” had quilted it and had even made a pattern of it. It was beautiful. But you can imagine my shock even more when I saw that she had the same exact inspiration for her quilt, only she saw the picture of this lady and her pillows in a magazine (a church magazine, I presume 🙂 ).
So, instead of making the same quilt, I decided to tweak it a little. So, here goes.
My new sketch:
This sketch is not exactly what I made (I didn’t do the extra square in the middle of the connected squares.)
Here is a detail of the two main blocks used for this quilt. The pencil numbers are incorrect. The numbers in pen are correct, resulting in finished 7.5 x 10.5 inch blocks.
I had a piece of remnant fabric from JoAnn called “Koto,” I’ve wanted to use it in a quilt for a long time now, and so I decided that this would be the quilt.
I made 15 of each block, and arranged them so that the Koto pieces would balance themselves out in the quilt.
Then, I organized them into columns.
I decided to sew them end to end first since it required more exactness, then I sewed the columns together.
Here is the quilt top.
Then I had to go back to JoAnn and buy more Koto fabric to make a back. It’s the vicious remnant cycle all over again.
I had a hard time figuring out how to quilt this thing. I thought about loopy, or meandering, but something in me wanted to make this more geometrical. I could do lines following the blues and whites, but I felt that it needed something different. I had thought of square swirls, or square meandering, but I had never seen it done, and so I didn’t know if what was in my head would look good. And then, a ray of sunshine! Elizabeth Hartman used a blocky meandering pattern on her planetarium quilt, and it looks AMAZING. Thank you Elizabeth for freeing me to do this. I should trust my own instincts. I love how it looks!
So, I bound it with grey fabric, machine stitched to the front, hand stitched to the back. Before washing, this quilt was 45 inches by 53 inches. After washing, this quilt was 42.5 inches by 50 inches. This time, my fabric was pre-washed. That’s still shrinking 6%. I used “Warm and Natural” batting, which says on the package that it doesn’t need to be pre-washed and dried and that it won’t shrink. Well, I’m going to guess that it does. But, no matter, I love it!
Here is the back, upside down 🙂
The other fabrics used in this quilt include the green from the bus quilt, an orange from the next quilt I post, a red from a fat quarter, and a square of Kona Maize.