I finally finished this little quilt. A friend of mine had given me a lot of her scraps, with which so far I have been able to make 10 quilts. I still have lots left over, and it included a bunch of random black and white fabrics that I just had no idea what to do with them. I had seen a quilt on the blog “Film in the Fridge” and I know I’ve linked to it before, but I have to give her credit again for helping me figure out what to do with my scraps! Her quilt is made with a lighter green, and includes green with the black and white, and my quilt is a little heavier on the black colors, but her quilt was inspiration nonetheless.
I think I spend too much time thinking about how I am going to quilt this. I decided for the maze/ blocky meandering free motion quilt, which is now my go-to for a boy quilt. When I first started quilting it this way, after finishing one bobbin’s worth of quilting, I stared at it and was not liking how it looked. I kept thinking “It’s too much! It’s too much!” So, I actually started quilting straight line diagonal echoing the strings, and then I kept thinking, “I like that even less!” So, I went back to the blocky meandering/ maze quilting. As soon as I had finished quilting the whole thing, I liked it a lot. And after I washed it, I liked it even more!
The reason I chose this over a free motion meandering design was because I wanted the back to have a blocky look to it.
The drawback to taking photos on the grass is it makes the edges of the quilt look wavy. I promise it doesn’t look like that on a flat surface.
Here is a close-up of the back design. I used 1 inch strips to make the 5.5 inch square blocks. So FUN!
And, in the end, I bound it with Kona Grass Green to tie it all together.
And that is my 64th quilt. Hope you enjoyed it!